Minnesota's #1 Web Site for Postings for Pre-K-12 Teaching and Administrative Positions
Dean of Students - Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District
Posted on 4/13/2017 8:31:05 AM
Listing expires 5/11/2017
Date of Availability: 07/01/2017
Date Closing: 04/30/2017
Dean (TOSA): Eagle Ridge, Nicollet, and Metcalf Middle Schools
- Working with the Principal and Associate Principal to support teachers in the development of classroom management skills
- Responsible for coordinating and supporting student attendance, behavior, and crisis-intervention plans to achieve site identified goals
- Coaching and supervising the school’s PBIS processes
- Serving in the role of student advocate when dealing with staff
- Serving as a behavior and engagement coach for teachers
- Facilitating faculty and staff professional development related to school culture, restorative practices, student engagement, consistent implementation of PBIS, and social-emotional support for students
- Using knowledge of students and families and their diverse needs to ensure equitable healthy and effective responses to student needs
- Supporting faculty and parents in creating intervention plans and individual behavioral contracts and helping to monitor student progress with those plans
- Designing, attending and participating in events outside of normal school hours, and performing such other duties as the school may reasonably assign from time to time
- Coordinating supervision of study hall program, before school/after, cafeteria, and passing time
- Managing student transitions and coordinating faculty presence at key locations
- Assisting with the coordination of MTSS, STAT meetings as well as grade level or department student themed meetings
- Creating community by leading restorative and responsive practices, student groups/circles and student celebrations
- Encouraging multiple perspectives and uses their knowledge of all perspectives in their daily practices
- Serving as an administrative designee for Child Study and IEP meetings
- Coordinating student recognition and other accolades
- Providing continuous and ongoing structures and supports that empowers students to grow and ensure their needs are met
- Liaising with families
- Educating students, staff, and families regarding the handbook guidelines, and holding all constituents accountable for adhering to the handbook
- Acting as an active member of the school's building leadership team
- Holding in person meetings or phone calls outside of school hours, as is reasonably requested by the Principal or Associate Principal with parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Seeking to study, review, and share related research materials and documents to increase understanding around the classroom environment
- Creating and presenting formal reports on school culture and safety, as requested
- Setting measurable goals for the upcoming academic year and plan ways to make them a part of school culture
- Proactively construct a positive student culture and mitigate disciplinary infractions before they occur
- Working with Associate Principal or Principal to develop the tools to create a common language with students, faculty, parents and administration around the desired culture for the school
- Maintaining systems for collecting and tracking accurate school culture and safety data, including documentation of student discipline records and communication with families
- Analyzing data for needs, and evaluating the issues around student engagement, classroom management, classroom procedures, and other identified areas
- Using multiple data points to impact dialogue and practices and helps make meaning of the data for all students
- Proactively collaborates with individual or teams of teachers to have a defined and targeted plan of action
Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
FLSA Status: Exempt
- all students can learn and that their learning can be directly influenced by focusing on factors over which we have control
- that student learning guides practice and decision-making throughout the school and system
- in shared accountability and responsibility through working interdependently
- in fostering a commitment among staff and parent communities to create the conditions for equity and excellence resulting in elimination of the achievement gap
- in a model that promotes professional reflection and continuous improvement
- in positive approaches to managing student attendance and behavior through establishing clear expectations and implementing appropriate, individualized supports
- successful experience in facilitating high-quality professional learning and remarkable outcomes through application
- the ability to effectively manage and lead change, including changing practices and structures in our school system that may perpetuate inequities based on race and class
- outstanding skills in written and oral communication, talent management, and school operations
- effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication tool to improve student achievement and manage work
- personal professional learning and development through a strong understanding of literature related to education, student learning, and leadership
- the ability to manage dialog effectively, valuing alternative points of view in planning and decision-making
- that he or she is a visible instructional leader
- courage to do what is best for students
- knowledge of applicable laws and regulations regarding student discipline, bullying, sexual harassment, etc
- flexible and adept student behavior management techniques
- dispute resolution techniques and ability to engage in dispute resolution
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work
- Successful experience working with children at risk
Use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copier and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel to school district buildings as required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Work in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- Our online application system offers the opportunity to upload additional information such as a cover letter, resume, references and transcripts. Paper or e-mail copies of these materials will not be accepted.
- Interviews will be conducted with candidates that best meet the current needs of the District.
- Review of materials will start immediately.
- The position will be filled on an undesignated timeframe when, and not until, the right candidate emerges.